Our History - 100 years of volunteer service
On April 2, 1915 at the Mandeville Inn, the de facto town hall, a formal fire department was proposed. A few weeks later, 13 men had signed up to form the organization. Through chowder parties, card games, the issuance of $5 bonds culminating in a raffle where the first prize was a pig, the fire department had enough funds to purchase a barn to act as headquarters. Unfortunately this barn caught fire and destroyed much of the fire department's equipment. The volunteers rebuilt the firehouse at its current location on Jackson Avenue. Since its rebuilding, Engine Company No. 1 has been serving the town without pause.
In 1938, Engine Company No. 1 responded to a call at the First Reformed Church of Pompton Plains, one of the oldest churches in the nation and one where George Washington prayed with his troops during the Revolutionary War. Even without fire hydrants and water mains, Engine Company No. 1 was able to save the stone walls of the church. In 1957, Engine Company No.1 spent a week fighting a fire at the factory complex of the Pequannock Hard Rubber Co. in Butler, NJ. The fire company has transformed into one that is equipped to handle a multitude of disasters. As the world has evolved, Engine Company No. 1 has kept pace. With Pequannock's location in the flood plains, the engine company is well prepared for flood rescues and evacuations as well as heavy rescue situations. Firefighters are also trained to handle chemical and biohazard situations.
Along with training programs geared towards our 21st Century world, Pequannock Engine Company No.1 has recently acquired a new 2015 Pierce Quint ladder truck and pumper to replace a 20-year-old truck. This truck will provide much needed flexibility and will allow the engine company to better serve the needs of the town in times when there are a limited number of fire fighters available. Engine Company No. 1 has continued to rise to the occasion over the years, keeping up with the latest training and necessary equipment.