Welcome to the Home of Engine Company #1

Proudly serving Pequannock Township since 1915

Line Officers:

Chief: Christopher Bell

Captain: Bryan Daley

Lieutenant 1: Mike Lewandowski

Lieutenant 2: Edward Quist

Training Officer: Ryan Fitzsimmons

Company Officers

President: Gene McKewon

Vice President: Ed Ruggero

Treasurer: Pat Moriarty 

Assistant Treasurer: Keith Lynch

Secretary: Justin Siesta

Announcements & News

 

 

During this time of COVID-19 spread in our area, we are committed to serving the community in a safe way. If you call us for help, please make sure are outside your house waiting for us. When we arrive at your house, have a mask on and let us know if you traveled recently, if someone in your house has been experiencing any respiratory problems, or if you have been in contact with anyone who has/had COVID-19. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

For media personnel looking for information regarding an incident / FD response in our township, please contact Chief Christopher Bell at Chief1@peqtwp.org for official comment.

Please keep an eye on this space for our annual Santa visits information. 2020 may look different than in past years with what we can do, but what we can provide will be very socially distanced. As soon as we receive guidance from the Township Health Officials, we can finalize our plans.  

Fire Safety Focus

The Facts About Chimney Fires

The Majority of Chimney Fires Go Undetected


​Slow-burning chimney fires don’t get enough air or have fuel to be dramatic or visible and they often go undetected until a later chimney inspection, but, the temperatures they reach are very high and can cause as much damage to the chimney structure – and nearby combustible parts of the house – as their more spectacular cousins.

Creosote & Chimney Fires: What You Must Know


Fireplaces and wood stoves are designed to safely contain wood-fuel fires, while providing heat for a home. The chimneys that serve them have the job of expelling the by-products of combustion – the substances produced when wood burns. These include smoke, water vapor, gases, unburned wood particles, hydrocarbon, tar fog and assorted minerals. As these substances exit the fireplace or wood stove, and flow up into the relatively cooler chimney, condensation occurs. The resulting residue that sticks to the inner walls of the chimney is called creosote.  

Creosote is a black or brown residue that can be crusty and flaky…tar-like, drippy and sticky…or shiny and hardened. All forms are highly combustible. If it builds up in sufficient quantities – and the internal flue temperature is high enough – the result could be a chimney fire.  

Conditions that encourage the buildup of creosote:

  • restricted air supply

  • unseasoned wood

  • cooler than normal chimney temperatures


Air supply may be restricted by closing the glass doors, by failing to open the damper wide enough, and the lack of sufficient make-up air to move heated smoke up the chimney rapidly (the longer the smoke’s “residence time” in the flue, the more likely is it that creosote will form). A wood stove’s air supply can be limited by closing down the stove damper or air inlets too soon or too much. Burning unseasoned wood – because so much energy is used initially just to drive off the water trapped in the cells of the logs– keeps the resulting smoke cooler, than if seasoned wood is used. In the case of wood stoves, overloading the firebox with wood in an attempt to get a longer burn time also contributes to creosote buildup.

For information about chimney cleaning and inspections, visit the Chimney Safety Institute of America. 

For more information on escape planning, fire prevention, and activities for kids, visit the National Fire Prevention Association website:
http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/campaigns/fire-prevention-week

"Reproduced from NFPA's Fire Prevention Week website, www.firepreventionweek.org. © 2017 NFPA."

Pequannock Township Fire Department

Engine Company #1

30 Jackson Avenue, Pompton Plains, NJ 07444

Emergency: 911

Firehouse: (973) 835-8878  

© Pequannock Township Fire Department

  • Twitter Clean
Visitors