• Admin

Fire damages Stephen J. Gerace

It took a passing motorist to report a fire that contractors were apparently trying to put out themselves at Stephen J. Gerace School Monday. Fire officials said workers replacing the roof of the school had not reported the blaze by the time police received the call from the passerby. In addition, because construction was taking place at the school, the fire alarm system—with permission of fire officials—had been disarmed because of the number of false alarms that would have been tripped.

While fire damage was contained largely to the attic, significant disrepair was reported in at least one second-floor music-instruction classroom due to water and a collapsed ceiling. A classroom used for special instruction on the first floor directly under the music room also sustained damage, school officials said.


Recent Posts

See All

Working House Fire

Crews were dispatched to a working house fire in the township on Wednesday, November 20, 2019. The house, which was under construction at the time, had damage starting in the basement and into the fir

Bedroom Fire Quickly Extinguished

An early morning bedroom fire was quickly extinguished when interior crews found fire in a upstairs bedroom on Terhune Ave. The carpeting and bedding were extinguished and removed from the residence.