1937 First Reformed Church Fire
Sunday morning, October 24, 1937, a fire erupted at the First Reformed Church, Newark-Pompton Turnpike, Pompton Plains, NJ. Fire companies 1 and 2 responded to the scene. The fire consumed the structure and destroyed everything but the masonry walls. Reconstruction of the church took place after the fire from 1938-1939. The roof reconstruction took place around June 25, 1938; the first ringing of the new church bell was July 10, 1938, and the new steeple was finished August 25, 1938. The rebuilt church (still in use today) was dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1939. Rev. Eugene H. Keator was the pastor of the church at the time of the fire.